Best chainsaw for milling: If you work with wood a lot, then it’s known to you how difficult it is to find a good-quality chainsaw for milling. With the right chainsaw and a lot of practice, milling would be a less difficult task. Chainsaws are quite expensive, so before purchasing one; u need to go through a lot of research. Chainsaws are the best alternatives for wood mills, which are even more expensive.
However, it’s a kind of challenge to find the best chainsaw for milling. Most of the chainsaws are designed for handheld operation, such as cutting branches or the felling trees. But you have to go with the Chainsaw which is designed for milling. If you are into woodcutting, then it should be your top priority to own a chainsaw. It’s worth to invest in these power tools as they are quite convenient and handy tools.
Now let’s jump into the review section to have a look at the best chainsaws available in the market.
- 1 Top Best Chainsaw for Milling Review & Buying Guide 2022
- 1.1 1. Husqvarna 460 Rancher
- 1.2 2. Echo Timber Wolf 59.8 cc Chainsaw:
- 1.3 3. Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw
- 1.4 4. XtremepowerUS 22 inch Chainsaw
- 1.5 5. Poulan Pro 50cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw
- 1.6 6. Greenworks G-MAX 40V Cordless Chainsaw
- 1.7 7. Makita XCU03PT Lithium-ion Brushless Cordless Chainsaw
- 1.8 8. Podoy Chainsaw 25cc
- 2 What Should You Consider While Buying Chainsaw for Milling?
- 3 FAQs: Best Chainsaw for Milling
- 4 Final words: Best Chainsaw for Milling 2022
Top Best Chainsaw for Milling Review & Buying Guide 2022
1. Husqvarna 460 Rancher
If you are looking for the best chainsaw for ripping logs, then you should definitely go for Husqvarna 460 rancher. When you are going to buy a chainsaw for milling you will definitely want the chainsaw with the best features. That means you can find the longest bar with a hefty engine which can turn the chain. The Husqvarna 460 Rancher can be considered as the winner in both of these vital categories. It comes with a 24 inch guide bar and the chain. This chainsaw is gas-powered with a 60cc two-cycle engine, which requires a oil and gas mixture to operate properly. Also it comes with Incredible oil tank volume of 0.7 US pint and with oil capacity range of 6ml/min – 17 ml/min.
Its side mountain chain system allows the user to adjust the chain whenever they work. The chainsaw is designed to conserve fuel with reducing its emission, it’s x-tonque, make it more eco-friendly. Also it comes with an effective air filter which is very easy to clean.
The filtering system is backed up by an air cleaning system which ensures dust particles and larger debris are removed before getting to the air filter. This saves you from the stress of constant cleaning and also improves the engine’s quality. The Husqvarna Company advises wearing the Husqvarna chainsaw helmet, the safety guard gloves and chaps which will protect you from any fatal injury when you will work.
- It delivers lower fuel consumption and reduced the exhaust emission levels in accordance with the world´s most stringent environmental regulations.
- It’s quite easier to access the chain tensioning device.
- Its excellent anti-vibration system can minimize operator fatigue.
- The engine and starter have been designed in such a way that the machine starts quickly with minimum effort.
- If you buy this Husqvarna handheld item with three 32 ounce cans of Husqvarna premix fuel, your warranty will be extended from 2 years to 4 years.
- It comes with an incredible air cleaning system.
- automatic chain oiler
- The air filter is quite easy to clean.
- It has a high powered x-torque engine.
- The air filter which comes with it can’t be re-used.
2. Echo Timber Wolf 59.8 cc Chainsaw:
It’s a powerful and industry-leading chainsaw tool which will provide you remarkably smooth cutting performance even for the thickest of woods. It has a professional-grade 59.8 cc 2-stroke engine which provides reliable performance for a long period of time. You should definitely go for this one as it has a built-in decompression valve which can reduce the hassle of rope pulling.
Also, you can get great comfortable handles to carry around; though it is heavier than the electrical chainsaws. You are able to deal with things effectively as the gas input provides extra leverage of power.
You will also get a built-in filtration system and an automatic oiling system which assures you to get ultra user convenience while operating. You just need to buckle up a bit regarding its price and you won’t face problems with this Timber Wolf Chainsaw.
- It’s available in 18” and 20” bar lengths.
- It has an automatic, adjustable clutch-driven oiler for reduced oil consumption.
- It comes with a 59.8cc professional-grade, 2-stroke engine for outstanding performance.
- It has a decompression valve for easier starter rope pulling.
- It is designed to maximize efficiency and comfort.
- Its large sized chain bar length.
- Superb engine performance reliability
- Minimum operating vibration
- Deals with several layers of wood.
- The materials are built with plastic.
3. Husqvarna 455 Rancher Chainsaw
Here goes another Husqvarna Chainsaw for you with the best performance when it comes to heavy-duty lumber cutting jobs. You can choose between 18 inches and 20 inches chain bar length as both work superb with a 55.5 cc gas-powered engine.
The Chainsaw has an engine chain brake that gets activated. A cycle engine makes sure that the chainsaw doesn’t get out of functioning and is suitable for a long time usage. If the oil levels are kept at the required level then the chainsaw can keep itself maintained on its own.
- Its side-mounted chain tensioner makes chain adjustment quick and easy.
- It comes with adjustable oil pump which makes it easy to set the chain lubrication according to your needs.
- The quick release air filter can facilitates cleaning and replacement of the air filter.
- Its pump designed for easy starting.
- Quick chain adjustments are provided
- Its Ideal Operating Safety
- Lighter in weight and easy to carry
- Professional grade engine quality
- No decompression valve is there for rope pulling.
4. XtremepowerUS 22 inch Chainsaw
XtremepowerUS 22 inch 2.4 HP 45 cc gas chainsaw comes with some great features. The best thing about this chainsaw is the 22-inch bar; two inches longer than most of the chainsaws. This will allow you to get more reach to mill larger lumber.
Maybe this Chainsaw doesn’t give you a fit like most of the chainsaws like to do but it comes with the 45 cc motor pushing just 2.4 horsepower. Though it’s okay for the duties of a regular chainsaw, milling pushes a chainsaw to its limits, and the lower power of this chainsaw is a limiting factor in this case.
Though it’s less powerful than other chainsaws, it’s quite Javier than the other chainsaws. The XtremepowerUS chainsaw has its own unique features and for the users who are conscious about the environment, this chainsaw is suitable one for them as it is EPA-approved, so it’s making less of an impact on the planet.
- Its engine clean air-intake system can effectively prevent the dust entering into the engine.
- It comes with electric ignition with auto choke for easy starting.
- It is equipped with an assisted Starting System and it has Quick Stopping Control for increasing the user’s safety.
- Its quick-release air filter and the automatic chain oiler keeps the chainsaw in good working condition.
- It comes with an anti-kickback chain and effective anti-vibration design.
- The 22-inch bar has more reach than the other competitors.
- You can get it in a reasonable price.
- It can be started easily.
- It’s EPA-approved.
- Havier than the other chainsaws.
- 45cc motor can only make 2.4 HP.
5. Poulan Pro 50cc 2-Cycle Gas Chainsaw
Poulan pro is one of the most renowned chainsaws available in the market. But it is a very user-friendly chainsaw, rather this chainsaw has so many problems. Gas chainsaws are difficult to start, but many modern chainsaws have found various solutions to overcome this problem. When this chainsaw is warmed up, if you turned it off, it would become difficult to start it right again as most warm saws will do.
It comes with a 50 cc motor with OxyPower technology which is supposed to make a much more powerful engine. Users who have used this chainsaw got disappointed so many times. People were expecting to see more power. Anyhow the Poulan Pro PR5020 isn’t a chainsaw which we would recommend you for buying.
- It has a spring-assisted starter system for easy start-ups.
- Its double-acting chain break ensures safe operation.
- It comes with an oxypower engine.
- Its super clean filtering system provides a longer air filter life and also reduces the fuel consumption while maintaining power.
- It’s easy to control.
- It’s quite difficult to start this chainsaw.
- The bar is flexible.
- The power was underwhelming.
6. Greenworks G-MAX 40V Cordless Chainsaw
Cordless outdoor power tools are suitable for you if you are simplifying and focusing on what’s essential to get the most out of life. This chainsaw is made of medium-weight construction and high-efficiency motors. 40 outdoor products, including blowers, string, blowers, lawnmowers, trimmers, chainsaws, hedge trimmers, etc. are included in this pack.
The 40V lithium-ion battery offers the power that you need. The Greenworks 40V chainsaw comes with a 3-year battery warranty which can protect your investment. This chainsaw is quite easy to start and lighter in weight.
- The brushless motor offers up to 30% more torque for the greatest cutting performance and up
- to 70% less vibration for improving comfort while working.
- The automatic oiler applies oil to the bar and the chain to ensure durability and to extend the
- life of the chain.
- It comes with a durable metal wrap-around handle.
- It comes with one 2.5 Ah battery and charger.
- It is cheaper than other saws with the same features.
- It is light in weight.
- It comes with metal bucking spikes.
- It offers low performance.
7. Makita XCU03PT Lithium-ion Brushless Cordless Chainsaw
Makita was established in 2008, and they offer a great quality of chainsaw. Makita chainsaws can be started easily as compared to other chainsaws. This chainsaw kit is suitable for continuous operation. Also, it gives a perfect finish cut to the trees and the plants. Most of the Makita chainsaws are very easy to use and operate.
If you want to buy a good quality chainsaw which is easy to operate, makes your job easier, and works smoothly then go for Makita chainsaws. Besides these cordless chainsaws are easy to use and these types of chainsaws are always ready to work at any place anytime.
This chainsaw kit is powered by two 18V lithium-ion batteries, also gets gas support without any hassle.
- It is powered by two 18V LXT Li-Ion batteries.
- Its LED battery indicators show the charge level for each 18V LXT battery.
- It comes with two 18V LXT Li-Ion batteries which can deliver power and performance without leaving the 18V LXT platform.
- Its battery protection circuit protects against overloading, overheating, and over-discharging.
- This chainsaw is easy to handle.
- The Lithium battery supports long hours.
- This chainsaw is eco-friendly.
- This chainsaw can control noise.
- It’s lightweight.
- It’s not suitable for deep undercutting.
- The battery does not support long hours.
8. Podoy Chainsaw 25cc
Podoy chainsaws are one of the well-known chainsaws in the market. This chainsaw provides tool-free chain tensioning for easy and quick chain adjustments; also it comes with an automatic oiling system which ensures constant chain and bar lubrication. Also, it has a chain break feature, for optimal safety during usage.
This gas oil chainsaw requires gasoline, and it reduces fuel consumption up to 25%. The ergonomic design which is paired with slip-free handles keeps the proper amount of oil on the chain to ensure safe and smooth sawing. But don’t forget to stop the engine and allow it for cooling before refueling the unit. It also comes with low operating noise.
- Its Distributor-less Ignition System offers lower emissions and higher power.
- It comes with fuel mixing bottles, Allen wrenches and a tool kit.
- Also it comes with an anti-slip, ergonomically designed to handle.
- Chain brakes apply steel brakes to stop the chain movement.
- Light in weight.
- Comes with low operating noise.
- The automatic oiling system lubricates the bar and the chain.
- It doesn’t come with any anti-vibration system.
- The fuel tank needs to be filled frequently as it comes in small size.
Must Read About: Best Table Saw Under 500, 300, 200
What Should You Consider While Buying Chainsaw for Milling?
Chainsaws are useful tools, but most people are confused about to choose the right chainsaw for them. Mostly the confusion occurs when a beginner selects the tool which is used by professionals. But if you are a homeowner with land, you should pick the chainsaw which is handy for removing trees, branches and other obstacles on your land.
- The very first thing which you need to consider is for which purpose you will use the chainsaw. If you need the chainsaw for any light work around the house, then a basic model is enough for you. But if you will be using it for heavier-duty work, then you will need a more powerful chainsaw. If you need a chainsaw for trimming your garden, then you need an electric chainsaw; it will be the best choice for completing this work.
- If you are looking to cut down de-limb large branches or medium large size trees in a wood-infested area, then you should go for Gas-powered saw.
- Another vital factor to consider while purchasing a chainsaw is the capacity of the engine or the motor size. Mostly chainsaws come with two types of engines: gas-powered and battery powered. The amount of power you need will depend on the type of work you which you will do. If you are removing small branches, then a smaller chainsaw will do your work. But if you want to cut down trees, then you will need a more powerful saw. Battery-powered chainsaws which are available in the market are rated in the terms of their wattage. The higher the wattage, the more power the chainsaw will have. So, if you need a chainsaw for heavy-duty work, then you need to choose the one with a high wattage.
- The weight and size of a chainsaw also matter. It Is believed that the more powerful and long a chain bar is, the heavier and the chainsaw will be.
- You should consider the starting mechanism of a chainsaw. A chainsaw which starts with the first pull, is a real joy and pleasure to the user, and this would make the job bearable.
- Some chainsaws are quite heavy. If you are going to use it for extended periods, you should choose a lightweight one. Gas-powered chainsaws are generally heavier than battery-powered ones. So, if you are looking for a lightweight chainsaw, then you will need to go for a battery-powered model.
- Chainsaws can be very expensive, so you need to think about your budget before buying a chainsaw. Gas-powered chainsaws are normally more expensive than battery-powered ones. So, if your budget is not that high then you may want to consider a battery-powered chainsaw. The prices of chainsaws vary, so it’s important to do proper research before you buy one. Husqvarna and Stihl are the market leaders in consumer chainsaws, so they are generally more expensive than other brands.
- When you are buying a chainsaw, it’s necessary to check the warranty. Chainsaws are expensive tools, and if something goes wrong with one, you will definitely want to be covered by a warranty. Mostly the chainsaws come with a 2-year warranty; but some brands, like Stihl and Husqvarna have a longer warranty; most Echo chainsaws come with a 5-year warranty.
Must Read About: Best Miter Saw for Beginners
FAQs: Best Chainsaw for Milling
Which chainsaw is best for milling?
If you want to choose the best chainsaw for milling, then you should always go with a chainsaw which can handle a bar that is at least 3 inches longer than the width of the log, you will be milling. Also you should go with a saw with an engine size of at least 60cc for softer woods and smaller logs.
What size chainsaw is needed for milling?
If you want to choose a chainsaw for milling then you should go with a chainsaw which has at least a 50cc displacement and which can run a 20-inch chain. However, you can use a smaller saw I’d you will cut small logs and milling smaller boards.
Is chainsaw milling worth it?
Yes. A chainsaw milling is one of the best and most effective tools when it comes to turning the wood into lumber. The chainsaw mills are comparatively lower in cost than the other sawmill types, and also the quality is quite good when you use a sharpened ripping chain.
What type of chain is used for milling?
The best chain to use for milling is a ripping chain. Ripping chains are designed in a way they make cuts in the same direction as the wood grain instead of across the wood grain. Also, the ripping chains have teeth sharpened at a 10-degree angle instead of the 35-degree angle on standard chains.
Final words: Best Chainsaw for Milling 2022
If you are into woodcutting jobs, then you know that milling is considered as an important technical task. That is why before buying a chainsaw you should take a moment and think that what kind of chainsaw will be suitable or you to fulfil your requirements. Once you decide what you exactly want, then you can choose this tool as per your requirement from the wide range of chainsaws and that will definitely make your task easy. Read About: Compact Circular Saws